Monday, December 10, 2012

Lees Ferry

On May 16-19 2012 our local fly club (DFC) went to Lees Ferry. I got to go along with 10 other members and get a haul to the Glen Canyon Dam and float down the legendary Lees Ferry of the Grand Canyon. This is my trip:

On Wednesday I got my gear ready for the three day trip to Lees Ferry. I had a drybag for my sleeping bag and tent and a stove with food for three days and two nights.



gear for the trip DSCN0327.jpg
WWe got to the Ferry in the afternoon and fished the walk-in while we were waiting for our 2:00 p.m. haul. The Ferry is known for its wind gusts and I lost my favorite Sage hat but also caught this healthy Rainbow.


Walk in trout DSCN0331.jpg
We got the Haul up to the dam right as scheduled.
 DSCN0335.jpgOur captain gave us a look at the Dam before we got to the camp sight. It was really windy.


The Dam DSCN0338.jpgThat night I didn't get much sleep because I was so excited to fish and the wind was really noisy. Not long into our float I started catching fish. they were all about 12 " in size. I decided I wanted bigger fish and started fishing streamers and sculpin. Here are a few that I caught.



First good size trout DSCN0354.jpgThis one I caught at Horse Shoe Bend. I liked its colors.
horseshoe bend DSCN0362.jpgAnd this one was long but pretty skinny. There were many fish in the river and you could have easily caught 100 or so nymphing but I was after the bigger fish.
Trout DSCN0365.jpg
This was the biggest of the trip. I think it was 19" and healthy.
19
I was fishing my bigger rod and a sinking intermediate tip. Some of the fish were a little on the skinny side for their size.
long and thin DSCN0361.jpgThat night I floated past the group and camped by myself...not on purpose. This is 9 mile campsight.
camp alone at last DSCN0371.jpg
It was cool to have the night all to myself. No fires allowed that night but I had my headlamp. The next morning I started hearing the boats coming up the Ferry and woke up to a guide and two fisherman on my beach. It was cool though! I fished with them and then floated out.
9 mile campsight DSCN0387.jpg
 The bottom was not as good of fishing as the top.
looking back DSCN0395.jpgThe last little bit could be a pain if the wind is at your face but it was good for us. Tis is Joe Staller, he had a lot of gear. He was used to floating in Alaska.Joe Staller DSCN0391.jpg
This is Garry. He was on our trip too.
 DSCN0390.jpgSteve and I went to the campground but decided to leave before the party that night.
 Steve and I going home DSCN0397.jpgI know my hat is pretty ugly but I lost my other hat and needed one with a strap. This is the view from the campground. It's pretty cool.
campsight of walk-in DSCN0400.jpg
I'll definitely go again. The trip was one of my favorites. I really love floating rivers in my 'toon!

No comments:

Post a Comment